Thursday, April 29, 2010

Dog Beer

I've been a away a while. Partly taking a break from the world of the internet and also because I was busy working on other things. This is not the best beer to give my blog the kick start it badly needs, but it'll do. Gimmicky doesn't begin to cover this stuff but I was unashamedly drawn right in. I bought it for the hound dog that patrols the land around my in-laws farm in Mayo. He loved the stuff, as well he might because there is a healthy does of beef extract in it. Along with the beef there is lactic acid and malt extract. I can't give you any tasting notes because I was reluctant to drink it. Also the ingredients don't inspire confidence, even for our canine friends; 'crude protein, crude fat, crude fibre and crude ash' are the main constituents, so I'm thinking snouts, trotters and tripe as the source. The glaring exception in the make up of the 'beer' is of course hops. None to be had, which is probably just as well because I more than likely would have tasted it if there had been. Wouldn't you?

7 comments:

The Beer Nut said...

Y'know, I suspect that the law obliges the brewer of this to list the ingredients. A courtesy not extended to beer drinkers of our species.

Bionic Laura said...

So you didn't heroically take one in the name of beer tasting? I can't say I blame you. I'm sure our dog would love this but then again he will eat or drink anything...

Kev said...

Hops can cause malginant hyperthermia in dogs.not sure if thats just in the plant form though.But probably prudent not to test it out in a dog treat!
The dog does look pretty pleased with the beer though.

Barry M said...

Yeah, I read somewhere (probably the Internet, so it must be true!) that hops weren't so good for dogs.

Shame on you for not sampling it! :D I used to nibble Bonio when we had a dog. I remember my friend not being very pleased with me when I passed some dog biscuits off as a new kind of figroll when I was a kid. I dunno, I kinda liked them!

http://abebedorespgondufo.blogs.sapo.pt/ said...

Very good.

Anonymous said...

Haha I was looking at this the other day for our little Jack Russel, she loves beer and is glued to my side when I have some. This sounds like fizzy gravy!

Cheers

Phil

Anonymous said...

I had to drink this exact brand of dog beer as part of a punishment in a drinking game once in Newquay (thank you Chris Sim). It was thourougly disgusting, like watered down bovril. Unfortunately I read the ingredients before drinking it, I was not happy about the 'crude ash' or the mysterious ingredient 'moisture'. I mean, seriously, what is 'moisture' just wet liquid of no description. I did manage to just about keep it down although my head was in the toilet as I was on the verge of regurgitating some of that tasty moisture laden crude ash.

Anyway this was two years ago and I am alive to tell the tale today.

I give it a 7/10.

Chris de Vries